The 6th Media daily selection for the best regional news portal in 2023 has finished, with the help of the Midas network native advertising platform.

In a tough competition, the sum of the jury’s points, which brings to 70% of the total points, and the sum of the points obtained in the survey, which provides the remaining 30%, undoubtedly show that the best regional news portal in 2023 is the Al Jazeera Balkans portal.

In total, a maximum of 40 points could be won (28 from the jury and 12 from the readers in the survey), and Al Jazeera Balkans won 35. The jury also gave the highest number of points to Al Jazeera. A year earlier, this year’s winner was in seventh place, so this clearly shows that both the jury and readers have noticed progress in the quality of the work of this portal.

Here is the conclusion about the winner made by this year’s international jury; “Al Jazeera Balkans paid the most attention to the originality of the style of writing announcements and implementing photo and video materials. At the same time, Al Jazeera’s portal has a high-quality visual appearance and provides a good user experience, and at the same time, it best adhered to professional standards of reporting and ethical codes of journalism, which is the most notices when reporting in difficult crisis and war situations in Ukraine and Gaza”. Congratulations!

Al Jazeera Balkans – winner of the 6th Media daily selection for the best regional news portal in 2023.

Second place this year was won by last year’s winner portal Danas.rs, which proves the continuity of good work results and professional relations according to the highest journalistic standards. Congratulations to colleagues from Danas.rs.

Third place this year was won by a newcomer in this selection: Portal 021.rs from Novi Sad. The high-quality work and reporting of this portal was highly rewarded by the jury, as well as by the loyal readership, which pushed the portal 021.rs to this high third place. Congratulations!

Here are the poll results! From 1.11. until 30.11. a total of 30,809 voters voted, who distributed their votes according to the table below. It is important to note that some newsrooms put more effort into attracting their readers, while some did not even publish information about the nomination in this selection, solely to their detriment, so it is not surprising that they do not have a single point.

Of course, the points of the international jury are much more important, which this year included Marijan Jurenec (Slovenia), Siniša Kahlina (Croatia), Milica Slijepčević (Serbia), Olivera Sašek Radulović (Serbia), Orce Kostov (North Macedonia) and Zoran Kovačić, President (Croatia).

It is important to note that when scoring the jury, in the case of the same number of points, the priority on the list was the portal that received more votes than the president of the jury (it received an additional plus). This happened this year in the case of the portal telegram.hr and danas.rs in the battle for 3rd place, then between the portals 021.rs and nova.rs in the battle for 5th place and between the portals siol.net and dnevnik.hr in the battle for 10th place. Here is the table with the jury’s points.​

Here is the final table and the final ranking of all 20 portals in the 6th Media daily selection for the best regional news portal 2023, which consists of the total points of the jury and polls. Here, too, in the case of the same number of points, the portal that received more votes from the jury (Dnevnik.hr and Klix.ba in the battle for 13th place) won more place.

Here’s a reminder of who the past winners are!

  • 2018 – 24ur.com – Slovenia
  • 2019 – 24ur.com – Slovenia
  • 2020 – 24ur.com – Slovenia
  • 2021 – Nova.rs – Serbia
  • 2022 – Danas.rs – Serbia
  • 2023 – Balkans.aljazeera.net – Bosnia and Herzegovina

Congratulations to all the winners, but also to all the nominees, because it is not easy to choose the best among the 20 best portals in the region. See you next year!